2GB memory limit on Alpha?

From: Dr. Michael Weller (eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 11:14:46 EST

Hi people,

I'm surprised there is a hard 2GB phys memory limit on Alpha although it
seems the kernel (2.2.9 btw) uses 64bit pointers..

Is the test in arch/alpha/kernel/setup.c only a safety measure and I could
safely remove it or are there architecture reasons for it (like the
phys + virt/proc = 4GB for x86)? I thought there won't be such oddities
on a 64bit system.

If some internal 32bit/paging table issue is the culprit here, would the
high mem patch for decent x86 kernels address this problem too?
(Currently 4GB phys on Alpha would suffice for me).

Any advice/comment is highly appreciated,
Michael.

--

Michael Weller: eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de, eowmob@ms.exp-math.uni-essen.de, or even mat42b@spi.power.uni-essen.de. If you encounter an eowmob account on any machine in the net, it's very likely it's me.