Re: network block device server (nbdd)

From: Sebastian Tomac (sebastian.tomac@bct.ericsson.se)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 02:34:08 EST

Mark Hahn wrote:

> > It would be of interest to get comments and criticism.
>
> the most obvious question is whether this permits diskless machines
> to swap. that, in turn, depends on whether the client can cooperate
> with potential allocations by the network to avoid deadlock.

The nbdd kernel server supports using the exported block device as a
swap device
by the nbd client. For instructions on howto setup swapping over
a nbd client I'll refer to the nbd client homepage,
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/nbd/nbd.html
Remember that the nbd client is started (and in some respects run) by a
user space process.

Sebastian Tomac