Re: static int's for proc_change_penalty and tlb_flush_penalty

From: James Manning (jmm@raleigh.ibm.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 14:15:53 EST

[ Thursday, January 20, 2000 ] Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> I am not sure if it worth to have the cacheline penality in 2.4.x
> consdiering I don't like by-hand settings, and that the scheduler
> algorithm should have the best values as default.

I'm hoping that with testing over a large number of SMP systems (dual
celeries -> 8-way 2MB xeon's at least) that there's enough effective
overlap to make this possible... if the "best" values for a given accepted
workload vary largely enough over a range of machines, we could pick the
"least damage" value and possible have a CONFIG_ option for "Tunable
SMP scheduling"? Or would that still be a poor choice for 2.4.x?

James

--
Miscellaneous Engineer --- IBM Netfinity Performance Development