Re: Sockets stuck in FIN_WAIT1 (2.2.14)

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 00:47:22 EST

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Riley Williams wrote:

> > I don't know what the problem is here but it is driving me
> > absolutely crazy to the extreme.
> >
> > My kernel is 2.2.14, and this happened with 2.2.13 as well.
> > FTP connections to ANY site in the redhat.com domain
> > (ftp.redhat.com, updates.redhat.com, contrib.redhat.com) as well
> > as metalab.unc.edu, all HANG in FIN_WAIT1 after attempting to
> > download a file.
>
>Can you try 193.63.255.4 and advise whether it has problems with that
>system as well? I get incredibly slow links to it under Linux, often
>timing out, but under WinNT4 it's rock solid !!!

I just tried it. I went into a random dir, and downloaded a
single small file (README). It worked no prob. I then tried
tagging 2 files and downloading. Both downloaded ok, with no
hanging problems... This is using 2.2.14, and midnight
commander:

mc-4.5.40-2

All seemed ok, and it was pretty quick too. My only complaint
was all the symlinks! Ouch! Every dir I went in was about 99%
symlinks... Must be CDROM's I take it...

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

http://www.freemware.org