Re: Towards non-recursive makefiles

From: Matthew Wilcox (willy@thepuffingroup.com)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 19:07:34 EST

On Sun, Jan 23, 2000 at 04:58:13PM -0600, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:
> Hmmm. Consider this use case: a developer is working on the qnx4 file
> system. They want to edit code, make qnx4fs.o, insmod qnx4fs.o, play with it,
> rmmod qnx4fs, and edit the source again.

make fs/qnx4/qnx4.o

That won't work right now, but that should work.

If that turns out to be too slow, then I have an alternative proposition.
Rename the current Makefiles to Makerules then have small Makefiles in
each directory which include the Makerules. I want to see how slowly
it goes once the whole tree is converted before deciding on that.