Re: Interesting analysis of linux kernel threading by IBM

From: David Lang (dlang@diginsite.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 05:10:16 EST

I apologize to all on the list that I did not clarify things enough. Larry
asked for examples of people who had larger then 10 running processes, I
thought that it would be self evident that the bottleneck in my system was
caused by CUP load given the details that I included in the report. It
appears that several people did not understand that (or did not understand
that I understand that :-)

So far the only reports that I have seen of systems that normally sit
above 10 running processes have been systems with known problems (in my
case CPU overhead of SSL connections, in some others it was problems
caused by poor CGIs) This should help make the point that if you have that
many processes runnable you have other severe problems and so changing the
scheduler is not the fix.

Even so there have been enough debates about the scheduler (I am thinking
of the sched_idle stuff from last year) that it may be a good idea to
provide the compile time hooks to change schedulers and make it easy for
people to experiment with different ones

David Lang