Re: [RFC] change in /proc/devices

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 04:48:37 EST

On 22 Jan 2000, david parsons wrote:

> In article <linux.kernel.Pine.GSO.4.10.10001222307410.27195-100000@weyl.math.psu.edu>,
> Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu> wrote:
>
> >(I _really_ don't see the point in separate names for IDE interfaces here,
>
> Because, unlike scsi, ide majors are randomly scattered all over g-d's
> creation. If you've got some (puke) userland script faking devfs
> (like recent MAKEDEV's) it will probably care about the difference
> between ide0, ide1, ide2, and so on.

Dave, meet /dev/sdq. /dev/sdq, meet Dave. Dave, pay attention to /dev/sdq
major...

> Changing sort order shouldn't matter, but pulling information out does.
>

> >This change is needed if we want to avoid (a) races and (b) major suckage
> >with exporting spinlocks, etc.
>
> Why?

One word: rmmod.

> >If somebody wants to protest - please, do
> >it _now_.
>
> Consider this a most vigorous protest.
>
> ____
> david parsons \bi/ Until devfs makes it into the baseline kernel, at which
> \/ point I will cease to give a damn about /proc/devices.

Umm... Will /proc/drivers/block/<driver>/ranges make you happy? I.e.
$ cat /proc/drivers/block/ide/ranges
0300(80)
1600(80)
2100(80)
2200(80)
$ cat /proc/drivers/block/ide/hdb/range
0340(40)
(and yes, it's _range_ - keeping device numbers for partitions in
non-contiguous area is the way to madness).