Re: Interesting analysis of linux kernel threading by IBM

From: Daniel Taylor (dante@plethora.net)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 13:45:42 EST

Just to jump in here:
  1.5% slowdown on a workstation is insignificant.
  1.5% speedup on a heavy duty server is quite good.

If something like this gets included it would
be appropriate and desirable to have the
workstation optimization available from
the source level (like the IDE driver
optimizations). This has two positive effects:
1. The single-user optimizations are available and
   can be used by the distributions without custom patches.
2. It gives the home "hot-rodder" a hook into learning
   about the scheduler and an incentive to find it.

Daniel Taylor