Re: 2.2.10-14 i686 SMP: IDE RAID-5 array hangs on mount

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 12:49:40 EST

In <E12CnT6-0006gP-00@the-village.bc.nu> Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk) wrote:
>> > 1. If you are lucky and have working RAID based on stock 2.2.x (for example
>> > RAID 0 :-) you should be able to upgrade to 2.2.14 without big hassle.
>> > So upgrade to RAID 0.90 in mainstream kernel posponed to 2.4 ...
>>
>> Thanks, I will do that as soon as possible.
>>
>> > 2. RAID 0.90 need some changes in some important kernel structures and such
>> > changes will affect even users without RAID.
>> >
>> > RedHat 6.1 includes RAID patches anyway so I'm not sure if 2. still can be
>> > considered seriously.
>>
>> Cool, then maybe they'll be in 2.2.15?

AC> Too many people whined. If you use raid use the 0.90 patches. Unfortunately
AC> a pile of people don't want raid 0.90 in the standard kernel, which is silly.

Ok. Is it possible to at least add message somewhere about existance of
RAID 0.90 patches ? Not everyone is reading l-k, you know. This way users
at least will know about RAID 0.90 existence (URL will not hurt as well)
and can try to apply them if stock RAID will fail...

P.S. Perhaps "Changes" file can include list of "well-known" patches ? That
"well-known" for kernel developers who read l-k regularly but not so
"well-known" for outsiders ? Things like KNFSD patches, RAID 0.90, IDE patches
and so on ? They can be "not good enough" for official kernel just yet but
peoples can find them helpfull sometimes... And it's not so easy to find URL
even if you are aware of such patch existance :-/