Re: Corruption w/ 2.3.41-pre2

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 22:23:32 EST

Forwarded by request....

attached mail follows:

Jeff,

Since you posted the start of the thread "Corruption w/ 2.3.41-pre2"
to l-k, I was hoping you could forward this for me so it gets into the
thread (I peruse l-k via a web archive only).

--SNIP--

I've been seeing sporadic filesystem corruption under 2.3.x for the
last few kernels (upto and including 2.3.40). Usually appears during
times of high disk activity, such as a daily Debian update.
Corruption shows up overnight, when files that were rm'd and newly
installed as part of the upgrade are listed by find as having
"Input/Output error".

It is impossible to remove, view, or examine such files. fsck'ing the
disk simply removes them, at which point I can reinstall the package
they belong to, and all appears well.

The system is a Tyan Thunder dual PII-300, the disk affected is a
Seagate SCSI on the onboard Adaptec AIC-7895.

If anyone needs more information, feel free to send me mail.

--
Ian Peters   |  GnuPG Key ID 5C23D20C     |  The reader this message
itp@gnu.org  |  E584 2558 FAC3 BEAB EFAC  |  encounters not failing to