Re: kernel panics at google

From: yoann@mandrakesoft.com
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 05:43:04 EST

David desJardins <desj@google.com> writes:

> Update: We (Google) set /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_retrans_collapse to "0"
> on our webservers. Now, instead of a kernel panic, they seem to
> spontaneously reboot without any errors or explanation in
> /var/log/messages. For us, this is a significant improvement over the
> previous sitation: at least we don't have to manually reboot them. But
> it still leaves unanswered the question of what is causing it.
>
> It also seems that the reboots are now happening significantly less
> often than the crashes did.
>
> Any suggestion on how we can collect more information about why the
> machines are rebooting?

Yes, but you will need many disk space,
issue this command and try to make the dump
availlable to the tcp/ip people...

Be carrefull, all information passing on your network node will be availlable
in this file ( so use thing like openssh instead of telnet :) ).

tcpdump -s2000 -vvv -w dump

If this is a problem in linux tcp/ip stack, we should be able
to find it using this file..

see you

--
		-- Yoann http://www.security-addict.org
 It is well known that M$ product don't make a free() after a malloc(),