Re: Corruption caused by umount not flushing the buffer cache.

From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen (hps@tanstaafl.de)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 11:44:43 EST

alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) writes:

>> I know I can get around this by forcing a BLKFLSBUF ioctl to the device after
>> the unmount but this strikes me as a bug in the linux umount semantics which
>> will bite more people than just me as linux enters the SAN arena.

>Solve policy problems in user space. If you want a umount to do that put
>it in the _application_. I don't want my caches flushing all the time just
>because I remount stuff

Ugh. Let's hope that those SCA disk adapters generate "drive changed"
messages when I unmount and hotswap a disk drive. I don't want parts
of my old file system flushed on the just inserted new disk.

        Regards
                Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen --             hps@tanstaafl.de
TANSTAAFL! Consulting - Unix, Internet, Security

Hutweide 15 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 "There ain't no such D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20 thing as a free Linux"