Re: "Clock Skew detected error"

From: TimO (hairballmt@mcn.net)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 15:07:45 EST

Heh, my old 486 has a similar problem. If your machine boots with
'arbitrary' or lagging dates, then your cmos battery is probably going dead
and needs replacement. After that is corrected and your machine always
boots with the year '1994' after setting it to 2000(as mine does); you need
to set the cmos clock to '1972' (has the same days as 2000) and add the
line:

date --set='+28 years'

to your init scripts. This will make your 486 'usable' under Linux/GNU for
another 27 years. But, then, YMMV. ;-)

I had just left it at '1994' but it isn't a leap year and as such will fail
after Feb 28. Unfortunately, if you dual boot with Microsoft, there is no
way (that I know of) to obtain equivalent results. Setting the time with
Microsoft will also reset the cmos clock and result in bogus time again.
If you have a 'flash' bios, you may also check to see if there is an update
available which corrects the problem.

--- Tim