Hangs after "Loading" but before "Uncompressing"

From: Markley, Todd (Todd.Markley@qwest.com)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 15:19:30 EST

I have a system that I installed RedHat 5.2/6.0/6.1 on and the install disk
and CDROM boots fine.
The install will finish without any errors, but when it is time to reboot
the hard disk it hangs
just before the "Uncompressing Linux" message should print. The results are
the same for all
three versions 5.2, 6.0, and 6.1. My first thoughts were on a hardware
problem, so I did some
parts swapping to try to isolate the problem. I found that if I replace my
ADM K6/2 350, with
a Cyrix 6x86 266 then Linux will boot. So I was thinking that I had a bad
CPU and got another
ADM K6/2 350, but it failed the same way. Next idea was that something was
failing at the
faster speed, so I under clocked the ADM K6/2 350 to the same speed as the
Cyrix, but it
failed the same way. The ADM K6/2 350 runs Win95 fine, and it will run the
install Linux kernel
fine. So now I ask what is the difference between the install kernel and the
boot kernel? I have tried
building many other kernel configs on another Linux box. The disks I make
boot on other hardware,
but they fail the same way on the ADM K6/2 350. I found an old linux-kernel
message about a cache
problem, and tried using loadlin with the same result. I am out of ideas.
What is different in the install
kernel???? Why does it run fine, but every other kernel I try fails to get
past the "Loading Linux..."?

ADM K6/2 350
IDE Maxtor 6.1Gig
64Meg memory