sys_modify_ldt Question

From: Ganesh Venkitachalam (venkitac@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 20:52:02 EST

Hi,

 I was looking at sys_modify_ldt, and the comments
basically say that if a "cloned" thread uses
sys_modify_ldt when the parent "bootup" thread has not
done anything with the ldt until then, strange things
can happen. i.e., if cloned threads want to use the
ldt, the parent has to touch the ldt _before_ doing
any clone. But from the code and the comments, I felt
that sys_modify_ldt will not cause a problem even when

the parent has not touched the ldt, _if_ we are
running on a Uni-machine. On an SMP machine, I can
see how this is an issue, but on a Uni, things should

work fine just the way it is. Am I right?

Thanks a lot in advance

--Ganesh