Re: 2.2.10-14 i686 SMP: IDE RAID-5 array hangs on mount

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@suse.com)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 02:08:19 EST

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Steven Roberts wrote:

> last I had heard the on disk structure that 0.90 requires isn't
> compatible with the disk structure used in the 2.2.x kernels (which IIRC
> the 2.2 structure is the same as the 2.0 structure).
>
> If this isn't the case, someone please say so, but the change IIRC was
> an extra block at the front of the disk that gave information about the
> raid partition (to allow the kernel driver to automount stuff).
>
> Which as a datapoint, I've been happily using raid-0 arrays under 2.0
> and 2.2. These have been on scsi disks, but the raid side has been
> good. (better than the hardware AMI raid controller we have that locks
> the machine during heavy I/O).

Are you guys missing the new data point I posted?
There is a new hardware ATA/IDE RAID 0,1 card on the market.
This thing is going to hit LinuxWorld by storm.
There will be 1/3 TERA-Byte ATA-hardware-RAID 0 Linux box there....
8x40GB RAID 0..........

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy

THE USE OF EMAIL FOR THE TRANSMISSION OF UNSOLICITED COMMERCIAL
MATERIAL IS PROHIBITED UNDER FEDERAL LAW (47 USC 227). Violations may
result in civil penalties and claims of $500.00 PER OCCURRENCE
(47 USC 227[c]). Commercial spam WILL be forwarded to postmasters.