memory lost?

From: Homme R. Bitter (homme@vuurwerk.nl)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 10:35:58 EST

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to do some reliability/benchmarking tests on nfs in 2.2.14
Something is happening that I can't explain, RAM is dissapearing to I
don't know where.
It could be me, or top or whatever, someone clear this out please.
Scenario:

Client with 2.2.14 plus openwall plus Trond Myklehurst NFS3 client
patches.
Server with plain 2.2.13 kernel.

The client mounts the server with these options:

soft,nosuid,nfsvers=2,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=20,retrans=10

I have a script that loops and creates a file with about 600K in size,
moves it around a bit, then creates a new file and does the same to it.
After 99 iterations it removes all it's crap and starts from the
beginning.
Theoretically, this should be a test that will tell me if having a NFS3
client patch and a NFS2 server hate each other.
After watching some performance stuff with top I found that during the
testrun, the amount of RAM in "used" was accumulating, free was decreasing
and buff remained the same.
To me, this should mean that one of the processes in the list top provides
me with, should be getting larger and smaller in sync with the RAM stats.
Somehow, it doesn't show what process is claiming this memory.
Can anyone tell me what I'm missing here? I tried asking the local guru's
and some websearching, but no fulfilling answers yet.

Regards,

Homme R. Bitter *NIX admin, BOFH, MCSE, parttime divine entity.

(S) This signature is swingware, I let you use mine if you let me use
yours.....