Re: Tracking a process started from a kernel module

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 20:52:02 EST

breed@almaden.ibm.com said:
> I have a kernel module that during the init_module calls kernel _thread,
> sets up two pipes, dups stdin and out, then execs a program that
> periodically I will communicate with the program from the kernel through
> the pipes. Everything is working fine, but I would like to be able to get
> a callback when a program goes away, so that I can gracefully recover. I
> don't see any hooks for this in the kernel. Is there a way to do this?

The original kerneld was based on such an idea, and was scrapped as it
introduced more problems than it solved. Perhaps you should rethink your
design, taking stuff out of the kernel.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616