Re: [RFC] change in /proc/devices

From: almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 23:28:52 EST

Alexander Viro wrote:
> If. They. Are. Splitted. Into major and minor. Which IMO is better to
> avoid if possible.

Hmm, do you indend to make a change that breaks simple arithmetic on
minor numbers, e.g. (minor("/dev/hdax") & ~15) == minor("/dev/hda") ?

Or things like major("/dev/ram7") == RAM_DISK_MAJOR ?

In either case, I guess I need to unearth that recursive FIBMAP
follow-on design that can go from partition to whole disk. (LILO
sometimes wants to check the partition table, and it's better if
it tells you that you're trying to put your boot sector on a RAM
disk before you try to boot from it ;-)

- Werner