Re: Tracking a process started from a kernel module

From: breed@almaden.ibm.com
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 22:52:52 EST

> The original kerneld was based on such an idea, and was scrapped as it
> introduced more problems than it solved. Perhaps you should rethink your
> design, taking stuff out of the kernel.

I'm resolving hostnames. Basically I send a hostname through the pipe and
get an ip address back. It saves me from having to reimplement all the
gethostbyname complications. I need to link to libc, so I must do it in
userland. What I want is to be able to detect that some one has blown away
my deamon (with a kill -9) and recover.

ben