Re: Intel 810 Random Number Generator

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 13:40:41 EST

"Theodore Y. Ts'o" wrote:

> Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 01:43:03 -0800
> From: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@transmeta.com>
>
> Why don't we use the TSC on other architectures that have them, e.g.
> Alpha?
>
> Because I don't have a (working) Alpha to test it on. :-)
>
> Send a patch..... (I'm doing some work on the random driver at the
> moment, so this would be a good time to fold it in.)

Ah, neither have I though (recent enough that I'd use it.) I have been
trying to get one from Compaq/DEC for years, but I don't ever seem to
get to the right person. (Is anyone at Compaq that could actually do
something reading this?)

I'd really like to get fine-granularity timing on Alpha, just like we
have on Intel. I understand the Alpha only has a 32-bit TSC, which
means it has to be periodically sampled to keep track of the high bits.

        -hpa