Re: printk flushing?

From: Juan Piernas Cánovas (piernas@ditec.um.es)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 23:40:37 EST

Todd wrote:

> folx,
>
> i'm doing some data gathering in the linux network stack by means of a few
> printk in the fragment reassembly and fragment dropping code. the problem
> is that ocassionally i'm getting what look like buffer overflows when the
> pace of printk's is too fast. i've looked through printk and just don't
> understand it well enough to figure this out, so i was hoping for some
> help.
>
> is there any easy way to flush the printk buffers onto disk?
>
> or, put another way,
>
> is there any way to ensure that relatively high volume printk statements
> get cleanly output to logs?
>
> thanks very much for any help,
Hi!.

A solution is enlarge the message buffer at kernel/printk.c but this is
not a safety solution.

Well, I have a little kernel patch and two userland programs that make
printk blocking/unblocking when you want. I also disable klogd and
syslogd daemons and execute "cat /proc/kmsg > myfile" to collect
messages. Send me an e-mail if you are interested in them.

Bye.

--
D. Juan Piernas Cánovas
Departamento de Ingeniería y Tecnología de Computadores