Re: Keyboard is frozen on boot of 2.3.41

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge (jeremy@goop.org)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2000 - 17:33:13 EST

On 29-Jan-00 Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
>>
>> I've had a problem with the keyboard/trackpad freezing with USB enabled on
>> my
>> Sharp Actius A100 laptop.
>>
>> The problem is the PS/2 mouse driver is most unhappy about sharing its
>> interrupt with anything else. It wants IRQ 12, and if the USB controller
>> also
>> gets IRQ 12 the keyboard (and mouse) locks up as soon as you touch the
>> mouse.
>
> ok, this just confirms my theory.
>
> Mouse, USB and PCMCIA can easily all be on irq12 - it may not be the most
> common setup, but it is definitely _one_ common setup (another is having
> USB and PCMCIA share irq9).
>
> And yes, USB and PCMCIA are the only drivers that are _likely_ to share
> the interrupt, so this also explains why problems like this are new. The
> keyboard/mouse driver didn't commonly use to care because it historically
> didn't get many "spurious" interrupts.
>
> This might actually be an old lockup problem - there have always been
> reports of keyboards dying. It might just have been explained only now..
>
> I don't see anything actually _wrong_ in the keyboard interrupt handler,
> though. That worries me. What we do to the mouse hardware is pretty much
> the same whether the mouse device is open or not, and the only real
> difference in opening the mouse is that it makes us save the events...
>
> Oh. We do some mouse initialization at open too. That might be a problem,
> and that _does_ make a difference unlike the actual irq path.
>
> In fact, in "aux_open()", could you people who see a problem try to
> disable the toshiba4030cdt workaround? Just #if 0 the send_data() code
> that sends a KBD_CMD_ENABLE thing to the keyboard, and see if that makes
> any difference? The shared interrupt thing may be a red herring, just a
> timing difference.

Didn't help. What's even more odd, there's no interrupts recorded:

: abulafia:pts/0; cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0: 11745 XT-PIC timer
  1: 116 XT-PIC keyboard
  2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
  3: 243 XT-PIC pcnet_cs
  5: 1 XT-PIC Crystal audio controller
  8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
 12: 0 XT-PIC usb-uhci, Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c475, PS/2 Mouse
 13: 1 XT-PIC fpu
 14: 1758 XT-PIC ide0
NMI: 0
ERR: 0

Keyboard was functional when I booted the system and logged in. As soon as I
touched the mouse, the keyboard and mouse locked up. I can log in fine over
the net.