Re: IRQ problem w. Cardbus card - more info

From: bvermeul@devel.blackstar.nl
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 12:23:08 EST

In mailinglist.linux.kernel, you wrote:

>Hi all, here's a little extra info. on my IRQ problems:
>
>It seems that in rare cases the NIC will actually work, sort-of, just like in
>2.2.10. It will break down horribly when loaded (a simple FTP will do it).
>
>I added a little extra debug output to /proc/interrupts, so that I can see the
>enabled/disabled state of the interrupts. It turns out that IRQ8 (which the NIC
>uses) is always enabled, even when the driver does not seem to receive
>interrupts.
>
>When the card/driver breaks, I sometimes see the "spurious 8259A interrupt:
>IRQ7" message. I suspect this is bad, but is there a deeper explanation to
>this ?

Just as an additional datapoint, I also get the "spurious 8259A interrupt:
IRQ7" message on my laptop. I've been using 2.3.18+ for pcmcia support,
with a driver for my wireless pccard. On my previous laptop (A Toshiba
Satellite 200CDS) everything worked just fine, on my new laptop (a Toshiba
Satellite 230CX) I keep loosing interrupts. This causes havoc for my driver,
since it looks like it doesn't get the interrupt on time.

It MAY be the case that the card issues too many irq's to handle (I have
to poll to receive, with one irq on every packet), but I'm not quite sure
on that.

>The laptop is a Canon (old model) P150-mmx, it has:
> TI PCI1130 cardbus bridge, two slots
> PicoPower Technology PT86C52x PCI bridge
> CMD PCI0643 IDE controller
>
>The NIC is a 3Com 3CCFE575BT cardbus fast-ethernet card (running at IRQ8)

My current laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 230CX P133-MMX,
  Topic97 pcmcia/cardbus bridge (currently in tcic mode)

>Any help/hints would be greatly appreciated.

No help, but another data-point...

Regards,

Bas Vermeulen

--
"God, root, what is difference?"
	-- Pitr, User Friendly

"God is more forgiving." -- Dave Aronson