Asus K7M onboard soundcard?

From: buddy@dookie.net
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 13:27:44 EST

Hi!

Has anyone managed to get the onboard sound on the Asus K7M to work with
linux? I've tried the VIA82cxxx module, and i managed to get sound, but
it was SEVERELY distorted (unrecognizable), and OSS complained to syslog
about it not being a real SB16.

Asus' webpage has lots of information about the chipset on the k7m, and
here's what I can get linux to report:

/sbin/lspci shows:
00:04.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown
device 3058 (rev 21)

cat /proc/pci (snipped off a bit) shows:

  Bus 0, device 4, function 5:
    Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo
Super AC97/Audio] (rev 33).
      IRQ 9.
      I/O at 0xd800 [0xd8ff].
      I/O at 0xd400 [0xd403].
      I/O at 0xd000 [0xd003].

thanks for any help. I am willing to help in getting the VIA driver
working if needed, but my experience in C/asm is VERY limited.

--buddy