Re: Reverse engineering Windows drivers.

From: Jamie Lokier (lkd@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 17:24:43 EST

Patrick Roberts wrote:
> I'm trying to find some correct settings for my video card that I'm writing a
> utility for. Can anyone recommend some freeware that:
>
> 1) Disassembles windows programs/drivers/dlls under linux (or do I
> HAVE to buy and install Windows...God forbid!)

GNU binutils can do .sys and .exe files, i.e. NT drivers. It doesn't do
.vxd files. I'm not sure about .dll files. Using the i386-winnt
configuration or something like that.

Last time I looked it has a bug which places symbols at the wrong
address, which in fact ruins the disassembly: instructions are broken at
the incorrect symbol addresses.

A patch, and nearby some Perl scripts which make the listing completely
symbolic (no addresses) are found at:

  http://www.tantalophile.demon.co.uk/linmodem/ref/binutils.diff

enjoy,
-- Jamie