Re: TCP SYNs broken in 2.3.41

From: Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 18:55:22 EST

David S. Miller writes:
> The networking never has, and probably never will, guarentee the
> alignment of packets. This means that all of your checksum support
> needs to handle completely arbitrary alignment cases.

It's not the checksum code which is broken.

> The networking also requires that unaligned load/store will work
> in the kernel. If you don't handle this, then IPX, Appletalk, and
> some of the other more esoteric protocols will simply not work
> on your platform.

I am aware that the other protocols will not work, however, since I'm
using only IP, it "should" work.

> So does the ARM code handle this?

The processor does not handle unaligned accesses by itself - you have
to take an unaligned trap handler just like the ALPHA has to. This
means that performance is hit badly.

Since I don't have a requirement for the trap handler, I have it
disabled, especially as outgoing IP packets over ethernet definitely
should always be aligned.

And thanks to Alexy for confirming the problem.
   _____
  | | | | http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/aboutme.html / / |
  / | THE developer of ARM Linux |+| /|\