RE: IRQ problem w. Cardbus card - more info

From: J.W. Hoogervorst (jeroenho@dds.nl)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 04:03:38 EST

> Just as an additional datapoint, I also get the "spurious 8259A
> interrupt:
> IRQ7" message on my laptop. I've been using 2.3.18+ for pcmcia support,
> with a driver for my wireless pccard. On my previous laptop (A Toshiba
> Satellite 200CDS) everything worked just fine, on my new laptop (a Toshiba
> Satellite 230CX) I keep loosing interrupts. This causes havoc for
> my driver,
> since it looks like it doesn't get the interrupt on time.
>
> It MAY be the case that the card issues too many irq's to handle (I have
> to poll to receive, with one irq on every packet), but I'm not quite sure
> on that.
>
> >The laptop is a Canon (old model) P150-mmx, it has:
> > TI PCI1130 cardbus bridge, two slots
> > PicoPower Technology PT86C52x PCI bridge
> > CMD PCI0643 IDE controller

I am seeing these problems, too. 2.3.36-pre3 is ok, after that, nothing but
problems. 2.3.40-pre3 did work most of the time, but hung the system after
an
suspend-to-disk, resume-from-disk cycle, so I stayed at 2.3.36-pre3. It
turns
out the TI 1225 in my Dell Inspiron 7500 does not always get an IRQ assigned
(ie it gets either irq 0 or 255, instead of 11). This even happens after the
boot-up message of the kernel stating it assigned irq 11 to the
controller...

Stange enough, when loading the yenta module sometimes gets the irq's right,
sometimes it doesn't.

Also, my wavelan IEEE card (16 bit) on some kernels hangs the complete
system
(no keyboard, mouse etc) when inserted. All is ok again when I unplug the
card: keyboard is immediately back, and in the systemlog I see lucent's
driver
complaining about the card having suddenly disappeared (Duh).

My DLink DFE-660TX (cardbus, 21143 chip) just gets 2 irq's, after that I get
messages about TX hung etc, probably because the driver doesn't get any
irq's.

And yes, I am seeing "spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7" too, but I saw them
too in
(the working) 2.3.36-pre3.

Hope this helps identifying the problem.

Jeroen Hoogervorst
Jeroen Hoogervorst
Informatiseringscentrum UvA
Turfdraagsterpad 9 1012 XT Amsterdam