Re: POSIX threads library for Linux

From: Jun Sun (jsun@mvista.com)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 14:51:09 EST

Khimenko Victor wrote:

> In <Pine.SOL.3.96.1000131184942.27017A-100000@cdacb> David SelvaKumar (david@cdacb.ernet.in) wrote:
>
> > hello all,
> > could anybody suggest about Threads implementation which
> > implements the entire POSIX threads std. 1003.1c.i for linux.
>
> AFAIK there are no such implementation. All REQUIRED things are implemented
> in LinuxThreads from glibc ...

Where can I get more information about the LinuxThread? Specifically
is it implemented by processes sharing the same address space or by
user-level threads?

Also, do you mean there is NO POSIX threads implementation in Linux at
all?
That does not sound right to me, although I have not checked it out
myself.

> P.S. This thread does not belond to linux-kernel till there are no working
> implementation with complimentary kernel changes: when such implementation
> will be created talks about adding of kernel changes to mainstream kernel
> can be started... inheritance/ceiling properties should not require kernel
> modifications though...

If threads are implemented as processes sharing the same address space,
we do need to modify kernel to implement priority inheritance.

Jun