Problems with different kernels

From: Russell Foster (rfoster@tele2.net.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 03:54:03 EST

Hi All,
    I've got a number of machine with different kernels and have seen the
following..

1) On my laptop (sony Vaio PCG-F270) using 2.2.1[234] sometime when I boot I
get the error message

    Kernel Panic: VFS Unable to mount root fs on 00:30.

Normally I would think this is me miscondifured lilo.conf however if I keep
rebooting the mahcine eventually it will come up cleanly. Any insight into
this?

2) I have a dual celeron on a abit-BP6 (not overclocked) running 2.3.41 and
I keep seeing an error messages akin to this

ACPI Confiuration error on CPU #1
bit3 : <something>
This should never happen (HW Fault)

Is this a hw fault beause I have only just installed the motherboard and
windowsNT seems fine as does 2.2.x. TIA

Rus