Re: [linux-usb] __initcall diff, version 2

From: David Woodhouse (dwmw2@infradead.org)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 06:58:02 EST

torvalds@transmeta.com said:
> (basically, a good driver these days should have NO code that is
> inside #ifdef MODULE any more).

I'm hoping to expand on that some time shortly - so that not only is the source
identical, but even the object files are compiled identically whether they're
compiled with -DMODULE or not - and then I'd remove the definition of MODULE
from the Makefiles.

In conjunction with Willy's Non-Recursive Make patches, I expect this to
dramatically simplify the kernel build process.

I also have my eye on Erich Boleyn's Proposed 'Multiboot Standard', in
particular the loading of modules at boot time.

--
dwmw2