Re: hda: lost interrupt

From: Steve Tooke (steven.tooke@stud.umist.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 10:06:54 EST

Hmmmm,

couldn't repeat the problem using your method, with or without the
netwrok card in. I've only ever noticed the problem happen when running
X ... ususally whilst compiling and starting netscape. I'm assuming
this is because data is being read from both drives. But this doesn't
explain why I've also lost irq on eth0.

[tooky@kane tooky]$ dmesg | grep eth0
eth0: RealTek RTL-8029 found at 0xa400, IRQ 17, 00:C0:DF:E9:11:89.

Steve

On Tue, 01 Feb 2000 12:10:49 Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> Steve Tooke wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 30 Jan 2000 20:14:53 Ted Knupke wrote:
> > > I am experiencing a problem with the 2.3.41 kernel. This problem has
now
> > > occured twice today. I have two IDE hard drives on my system and the
> > problem
> > > seems to happen when both are being used simultaneously. Here is how I
get
> > the
> > > problem to happen:
> >
> > This actually sounds fairly similar to my problem.
> >
> > > 1. I have stuff running in the background accessing /dev/hdb
> >
> > [tooky@kane tooky]$ dmesg | grep hd
> > hda: Maxtor 72004 A, 1916MB w/64kB Cache, CHS=973/64/63
> > hdb: ST34321A, 4103MB w/128kB Cache, CHS=8894/15/63
> >
> > As I mentioned in my previous post this is using the Abit BP6
> > motherboard. I have also experienced "hdb: lost interrupt" under
> > similar conditions.
> >

> Do you have the network card in the computer - I'm having same problem,
> but with 2.2.15pre5 and without network card I was unable to reproduce
> this problem.
>
> My usual way to catch this bug -
> boot SMP kernel with nosmp option into single mode
> run hdparm -d 0 /dev/hda; while : ; do hdparm -t /dev/hda ; done
> and after a while I get this "hda: lost interrupt message"
> But not without network card (I've tried 3c59x & tulip)
>

> --
> binary drivers cause sclerosis of the kernel (mark hahn)
> Zdenek Kabelac http://i.am/kabi/ kabi@i.am {debian.org; fi.muni.cz}
>

> -

Steve Tooke Dept. of Computation UMIST PO BOX 88 M60 1QD

Tel: +44 7881 802 752 Email: stooke@iee.org steven.tooke@stud.umist.ac.uk mcai8st3@ist4.co.umist.ac.uk

"I was either onto something or on something!" Larry Wall Creator of Perl

"Microsoft are like double glazing salesmen, they keep trying to sell me windows!" Anon