Re: IDE weird behavior in 2.3.41 w/ synchronous FTP reception

From: Linux Lists (lists@cyclades.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 20:13:21 EST

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Manfred Spraul wrote:

> Linux Lists wrote:
> >
> > - Why does it happen only in 2.3.x kernels??
> * new network code [although that one was added in 2.3.41?]
> * new block cache
> * ...
>
> > - Why does it happen only when there are concurrent IDE accesses (i.e., if
> > the incoming file is directed to /dev/null, the problem does NOT
> > happen)??
> it's always possible that you trigger a bug in the filesystem code [ops.
> I forgot that the file system cache is new as well...]

Actually, wouldn't it be more of an IDE bug than a filesystem one
(considering that the problem doesn't happen in a SCSI-based system)??

Who should I contact in this case??

> > - Why does it happen only with concurrent _IDE_ accesses (i.e., it does
> > NOT happen when I use a SCSI HD instead, being everything else in the
> > system still the same)??
>
> Perhaps you use more than 7 kB stack? Perhaps the IDE driver needs more
> stack space than the SCSI HD?

I don't think I use more than 7kB stack ... actually, I don't think I use
even 1kB ... :)

> Or perhaps IRQ sharing, or just timing?

IRQ sharing is definitely _NOT_ the case (no boards / devices are sharing
IRQ's in the system). Timing is definitely an option (actually, it's my
best bet up to now).

> [i.e. the bottom half handler runs just after/before/during a certain
> hardware interrupt]?

There are no bottom half handlers in my driver, and the only bottom half
that is called from within it is NET_BH (which is called by a zillion
other drivers BTW ... ;). And NET_BH has to be running _after_ the
interrupt handler, because:
1. It's scheduled from within the interrupt handler;
2. The problem happens at an UP system;

> You could also try to use a debugger, or the ikd patches
>
> [ftp://e-mind.com/..., or perhaps
> ftp.xx.kernel.org/pub/linux/people/andrea]

Ok, I'll check that as well.

Thanks for all your help so far!!

Regards,
Ivan