Re: Adaptive thread creation by the kernel

From: Mark Hahn (hahn@coffee.psychology.mcmaster.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 23:30:21 EST

> this is exactly what an interface like mincore() is designed for. the
> application, or an underlying threads library, can use it to avoid page
> faults that would block all the threads running in an address space.

that's yucky. there's a fairly well-established body of work
including Mach Scheduler Activations (Bershad, I think) for
doing this much nicer. rather than forcing the app to fantically
poll the kernel to keep its threads running, SA's let the kernel
notify the thread manager when a thread blocks...