Re: 2.4 Features

From: Evan Langlois (ekl@wans.net)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 13:54:18 EST

> Is there a good list of changes / new features in upcoming 2.4 kernel
> release?
>
> - Will 2.4 have 2(4)+GB filesize support on 32bit machines?
> - Will 2.4 have 32bit uid/gid support?
> - Will 2.4 have Nfsv3 support?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> - Pasi Kärkkäinen

I think the large file support is pretty important especially in video
work, however, there isn't much software to support anything like that,
and if there were, I'm a bit concerned about synchronization with
standard media timings such as SMPTE time code and such. The regualr
30/60 frames and quarter frames lead to timings that don't divide well
with the regular 100Hz clock. A 300Hz clock will give nice round 25,30,
and 60 frame timings, but regular quater frames, I _THINK_ end up being
120hz, which doesn't grok at all nicely with 100Hz, and not well with
300Hz much better.

Is there some specific reason the kernel uses 100Hz? Would it be more
advantageous to go to a 600Hz clock for synchronization with
professional media production and other real time capabilities?

In all, I don't care if NONE of the nice features make it into 2.4, as
long as the stuff that is currently there is stable again.