bigmem questions

From: Matt Chapman (mchapman@cupertino.synopsys.com)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 14:28:12 EST

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about the BIGMEM implementation.

I understand BIGMEM will support up to 64G of physical RAM, but I
haven't been able to glean from the postings what a user-process'
virtual address space will be. The SGI and SuSE patches that I've
seen map almost 4G virtual into physical RAM. Does BIGMEM support
this range or will it retain the old 3G virtual space?
Will the location of a process' text+heap, mmap and stack segments
change? If so, how?

Does BIGMEM adjust to the amount of RAM installed? For example, the
2.2.x release requires one kernel build for less than 1G and another
for over 1G. Will BIGMEM support say 16M to 64G with the same kernel
build?
How about support for 16M to 4G RAM with one kernel?
If rebuilding is required, why? Is there a sizable performance hit in
making it dynamic?

Thanks,

  - Matt

P.S. On a different note, does anyone know how to set one of the
"user masks" so an Itanium box runs as a big endian machine?