Re: [patch] Fix for PPP/SLIP driver

From: Paul Mackerras (paulus@linuxcare.com)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 18:38:10 EST

On Thu, 03 Feb 2000, Stanislav V. Voronyi wrote:
[snip]
> From other side if I would do ifconfig pppXX down or
> ifconfig slXX down control programm (pppd or slcall) receive
> no notification about it. If slip driver compiled with my

What would you be expecting to achieve by configuring the interface down?
It's not something that makes any sense to me.

> But since PPP driver in 2.3 kernel was changed I found only one
> possible way to fix problem - save pgrp of control process when interface
> going UP and send SIGHUP to this process group on interface closing.

Which seems like rather a nasty hack to me. There must be a better way,
given that we have an open instance of /dev/ppp associated with the
device and a pppd listening to that instance.

--
Paul Mackerras, Senior Open Source Researcher, Linuxcare, Inc.
+61 2 6262 8990 tel, +61 2 6262 8991 fax