Lockup with heavy io on a HPT366 controller

From: Boszormenyi Zoltan (zboszor@externet.hu)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 04:11:10 EST

Hi!

With 2.3.4[12] I get hard lockup during heavy i/o.
I have a BP6 with two 400 MHz not overclocked Celerons,
the kernel is compiled SMP. I have these IDE devices:

hda: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6002B, ATAPI CDROM drive
hdc: QUANTUM FIREBALL_TM2110A, ATA DISK drive
hde: QUANTUM FIREBALL CX13.0A, ATA DISK drive

The boot disk is hde on the UDMA66 controller,
hdc is a mobile rack. BTW, is there a way to
hot-swap the rack?

I can reproduce the lockup by doing

while true ; do dd if=/dev/hde of=/dev/null ; done
while true ; do tar xzvf linux-2.3.41.tar.gz ; done
while true ; do tar xzvf linux-2.3.41.tar.gz ; done

on three consoles. The two tar are done in the same
directory on /dev/hde8. Instantly before the lockup
I get a "hde: timeout waiting for DMA" message. I tried
with and without HPT366_FAST_IRQ_PREDICTION, it locks up
in both cases. With this option the machine seems to stand
the stress a little longer but sometimes tar (actually its
gzip child) complains about data corruption. The lockup
happens in 2 minutes.

I checked it with 2.3.40 and it does not lock up with
the same procedure though it complains about data corruption
without HPT366_FAST_IRQ_PREDICTION.

Regards,
Zoltan Boszormenyi