Re: [patch] Fix for PPP/SLIP driver

From: Olaf Titz (olaf@bigred.inka.de)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 17:33:49 EST

> > From other side if I would do ifconfig pppXX down or
> > ifconfig slXX down control programm (pppd or slcall) receive
> > no notification about it. If slip driver compiled with my
>
> What would you be expecting to achieve by configuring the interface down?
> It's not something that makes any sense to me.

I'm surprised ppp behaves this way. I modeled the kernel/user-part
structure of CIPE after PPP some years ago and it goes this way: when
ciped exits, the device is closed, _and_ when the device gets closed,
ciped is made to exit.

To me, it makes perfect sense to "ifconfig xxx down" to down a device,
no matter what kind of device that is.

Olaf