Re: 2.2.15pre5: still very unstable

From: Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 21:42:26 EST

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> (BTW, the trap code is obviously wrong since it should simply make the
> state a not clobbered information instead of running GFP in atomic mode

I have thought about this and we cannot do that.

Imagine a TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE task in a critical piece of code
(well, why would it be TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE otherwise) that
suddenly becomes TASK_RUNNING, gets a signal (where it does the
schedule) and breaks out of the critical piece of code in an
unclean way...

Since we cannot have that and the trap is there only to detect
buggy callers, it is the simple one we have now. Trust me, I
have tried to come up with an all-in-one solution...

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.