Re: advice requested re: huge files and/or disk seeking

From: Steve Doyle (sdoyle@relay.csd.sgi.com)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 19:09:59 EST

Daniel Phillips wrote:
> It sounds to me like any existing file system is just going to get in
> your way. What you need is a simple filesystem that just has one file,
> and it takes up the whole partition, can't be truncated or extended,
> no index, no inodes, no directories, no permissions, nothing. Just
> straight I/O to the disk. If this partition exists on a dedicated disk
> you'll be completely in control of all seeking. You can keep any
> indices you need in a file on another partition.

Why not just open the appropriate special device file and use the parition
directly? Or will block devices not operate this way? (I'm assuming that
since commands like 'cat' will work on one, any other file operation will work
on one as well...) Using the special file wouldn't even require a kernel
module.

-smd

--
Steven M. Doyle	 		  	      Member Of Technical Staff @ SGI
sdoyle@csd.sgi.com				   	       (xxx) xxx-xxxx

...hmmmm.... isn't there supposed to be something witty on this line?