Re: 2.3.42 alpha updates

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 20:08:21 EST

   Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 11:56:09 -0800
   From: Richard Henderson <rth@cygnus.com>

   attached to try_to_swap_out, so that's probably enough not to
   call schedule, but I don't see any such spinlock held. Moreover,
   the comment would seem to indicate it _is_ legal to sleep, so
   long as you indicate that it happened.

No, mm->page_table_lock is held here, and in the vast majority
of TLB/CACHE flushing calls. In fact Linus and I agreed that we
wanted to make this in fact an invariant for the calls, so that
the implementation could rely on the lock being held always during
such calls, and thus have a consistent execution/locking environment.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com