Re: apm bug?

From: Derrick Steed (derrick@m-steed.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 13:11:46 EST

Is the mobo a Soyo?

for the SY-5EMA there is a BIOS update on the Soyo website
http://www.soyo.com.tw/cgi-bin/prodinfo.exe?track=what_new

for the SY-5EHM the bug has been raised, no BIOS update yet.

There seems to be a problem when passing control to the BIOS for PSU
shutdown, the BIOS tries to execute assuming it is in real mode, whereas
Linux passed control in protected mode. The result is a page fault and the
corresponding oops.

There is a patch http://linuxcare.com.au/apm/)

May be wrong, but hope it helps anyway.

Rgds,