Re: kernel read/write question

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 13:48:59 EST

Hi,

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000 13:29:45 -0800 (PST), "Christopher A. Baumbauer"
<cab105@yahoo.com> said:

> My intention is to mount a filesystem where everything is compressed,
> except for the files already compressed. An example would be a
> directory or file move and having it already compressed without having
> to set additional bits or remembering to set the compression bit each
> time I mount a disk. I'm not sure if that helps any.

Two things. First of all, with e2compr, all you do is "chattr -r +c
<mount-point>" and everything on that filesystem is compressed by
default. Isn't that what you are after?

Secondly, policy and mechanism are two entirely different things, and if
you want to implement a different policy for when to compress things
than the e2compr patch has, it makes little sense to go away and
reimplement the entire mechanism too at the same time!

--Stephen