Re: Linux trademark garbage

From: Gregory Maxwell (greg@linuxpower.cx)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 18:10:38 EST

On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > "hard" real-time applications. " and "RTLinux is a trademark of VJY
> > Associates L.L.C."
> >
> > RT Linux has been the name of the RT Linux patches for ages. This seems to
> > me to be a case of, "We can't close our code, so we'll make a generic
> > trademark and prevent competaion"..
>
> Why. Last time I checked RTLinux was written by one V Yodaiken, I wouldnt
> be suprised if he happened to be V J Yodaiken ...

Okay. Thanks for sheding some light here. :)

I'm still not sure that trademarking RTLinux is good, as the use of
such a generic name would make forking difficult.

I.e. If it were cold YodaLinux-Real-Time(tm) and I didn't like the
development direction, I could make a fork called FooBarLinux-Real-Time
and all would be good.

With the width of trademark enforcement today, I might hae a hard time
producing 'Real-Time Linux' or 'LinuxRT' or even 'Greg's RTLinux' from
RTLinux.

Not that I would fear a developer doing something so rude, but with
coperate buyouts, shareholders, etc. Uncreful trademarking could have a
chilling effect on open software development.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance or something along those lines.