DMA on the MVP3

From: Jon Niehof (jnieho38@calvin.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 12:13:23 EST

Apologies if this is a known issue, but:

DMA'ing across hard drives (note: NOT CD-ROM) will cause
file corruption on a heavily loaded system with kernel
2.2.14 and VIA MVP3

Details:
Test consists of compiling a kernel while playing an MP3 and
copying files from one location to another. When the copy is
done, diff --recursive states that files differ.

This is true of:
-DMA enabled on both drives, copying from one hard drive to
another, playing the MP3 from one drive and compiling on the
other.

-DMA enabled on both drives and the CD, playing and copying
from the CD to one drive (this is known to possibly cause a
lockup bug on VIA chipsets, IIRC). Also true of copying off
the CD and playing from the drive.

-DMA enabled on both drives but *not* the CD, copying CD to
drive and playing from either the CD or the drive

The *only* reliable situation is when DMA is disabled for
all drives. Then, any combination of the above works.

Q: Might this be addressed in 2.3? Would trying 2.3 provide
useful data?

System details:
FIC PA-2013 rev 2.0 via MVP3 chipset, BIOS 1.15
128MB RAM
WD Caviar 17GB (hdc) and Quantum Fireball 4.3 (hda) IDE.
2.2.14
loosely Debian 2.0 based install.

If I can provide any more information, please let me know.

--Jon, N9RUJ jnieho38@calvin.edu www.calvin.edu/~jnieho38

...the Internet now has the full attention of decision makers in
Washington and on Wall Street. Historically, that's never meant
anything good. --Jon Katz