Re: Kernel page count management

From: Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 11:09:09 EST

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Mathias Waack wrote:

> If I request a page by calling get_free_page, the kernel
> sets the usage count for this page to 1. So far so good, but if
> I request more pages by calling __get_free_pages(GFP...,order)
> it sets only the usage count of the first returned page.

Higher-order pages are "special".

They are used for special-purpose things and they are not
freeable by kswapd or anything else except the code that
requested the pages in the first place.

There is no real need to mark the other pages as used
since they've been removed from the free list and nobody
will see those pages (except the code that has allocated
them).

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.