Re: Lockup at LILO with hpt366

From: Brendan Miller (brmiller@netgate.net)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 23:57:41 EST

On Sun, Feb 06, 2000 at 11:16:05PM -0800, Brendan Miller wrote:

> Hate to bug all the busy folks out there again, but this problem still
> persists... I tried it on another system and same thing...

A kind soul named Jeff suggested:

> compile an SMP kernel. no joke.

I thought I had done this the first time, but I started over, and rebuilt
an SMP kernel. This time, I booted. So I must have hosed the kernel
last time--thanks Jeff.

Now a different problem. I am experimenting with the HPT366, so I want
to continue to boot off of my CMD640. With the HPT366 in the kernel,
I think I get my idex out of order, similar to what happens in scsiland.

Unfortunately, I don't have the boot log (I'd have to copy it by hand,
and I haven't done that yet), but it kernel panics with root fs not
mounted. It finds HPT366 as ide0 and ide1 and doesn't even mention
the ide interfaces associated with CMD640, although it does note the
CMD640 first and say it will use its own driver. But it's as if the
HPT366 takes over, gets carried away with its interfaces, and it
doesn't probe the CMD640. It also doesn't probe the other ISA IDE
interface. This is what I have:

   CMD640:
      ~600MB Segate drive
      2G WD drive
   ISA IDE:
      8x ATAPI CDROM
      4x NEC 4 CD changer
   HPT366:
      8G Maxtor UDMA/33 drive

And that's the order I'd like them -- hda..hde -- it would be okay if the HPT
stuff came second, but I definitely wan the CMD640 stuff first. How
to do this?

Brendan