Re: Strange Crashes with 2.3-42 and Athlon 500

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 03:50:54 EST

Andreas Steffan wrote:
> We have two boxes running the Athlon-500 on MSI boards. We found
> them to be stable using just one 128M DIMM, but as we add more memory
> the system gets *very* unstable immediately. Our conclusion is to
> ditch the MSI boards for ASUS boards. That will hopefully solve our
> problem.

My local computer store hardware guy tells me that Athlon-500's have
problems, and heavily advises the 700 and above (and not just to pad his
bottom line :))

He mentioned one trick -- make sure you have at least 32MB of AGP'able
video memory, if you have an Athlon 500. If you have less, many
motherboards malfunction apparently.
Again, this problem isn't present on Athlon 700 and above, or so he
says.

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik         | Old SysOps never die, they simply
Building 1024       | forgot their own passwords.