Mount an A-Open DVD drive in slave mode on a HPT366 Controler

From: Marco van Tol (marco@nl.demon.net)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 08:32:27 EST

Dear People,

I just joined this mailing list for the purpose of asking this question.
I have compiled SMP kernel 2.2.14 at home with the HPT366 patch from the highpoint
website [http://www.highpoint-tech.com]

For some time now I have been trying to mount my A-Open 6x32 speed DVD ROM drive
on my HPT366 controler which causes the kernel to get really stuck.
The only way to regain control of the system is by hitting the reset button.
(Also after waiting 30 minutes)

I try to mount the DVD ROM drive using /dev/hdf

I am able to mount it using /dev/hdd when I attach it in slave mode to the
secondary IDE controler.

The rest of my hard/software configuration looks as follows:
- Redhat Linux V6.0
- Abit BP6 MotherBoard with 2 Celeron 400Mhz Processors
 + Tried this with both the latest and one before latest BIOS
- 128 MB RAM
- Matrox G400 Dual Head Graphics Board
- KDE Window Manager
- XFree86 which was the latest version about a month ago
- Harddrive mounted on /dev/hda1
- Swap mounted on /dev/hda2 (256 MB)
- Win95 Partition mounted on /dev/hde1 (HPT366)
- Win2K Partition mounted on /dev/hde5 (HPT366)
- One more 50x ASUS CDROM drive mounted on /dev/hdb

The reason I want to mount the DVD ROM drive on the Ultra ATA HPT366 controler
is because under Windows 95 that is the only configuration under which I have
sufficient throughput to smoothly play DVD's. (I used to compile the Livid DVD
player for Linux on a daily basis)
Under Windows 2000, I did not manage to get a working DVD player yet, which
would probably enable me to play DVD's smoothly on a regular IDE controler as it
accesses both processors. (Win95 does not :(

Does the getting stuck by mounting a DVD player on a HPT366 controler sound
familiar to anybody, or can anybody help me with this?

Thank you very much in advance,

Marco van Tol

--
Nothing takes the past away like the future